Passion Flower

Climbing plants and creepers

Moderator: Moderator Team

Passion Flower

Postby Doreen » 20 May 2007 22:35

Hi, I have been given a small passion flower climber with no instuctions at all, can you tell me how to plant it ie: what kind of soil? will it tolerate windy areas? when do I feed? what kind of feed? anything you can tell me will be helpfull as I've never grown one before. many thanks :? :? :?
D.Possy
Doreen
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 22 May 2007 20:23

Hello Doreen,

Thank you for your question about your Passion Flower plant. The most common passion flower in cultivation is the Blue Passion Flower; Passiflora caerulea.

It is fine to plant your Passion flower in average, moderately nutritious garden soil, it should be reasonably drained but also hold on to some moisture. Ideally, plant it against a south or west facing wall. I would avoid an east facing wall because such a site will have early morning sun with the potential for a rapid thaw from a late frost; this could damage the developing flower buds.

Passiflora caerulea flowers all summer and into autumn. It is a slightly tender plant and will cope with frost down to –5C.

I would feed your Passion flower once per fortnight during spring, maybe with a tomato food that will encourage lots of flower development. Rig up some kind of support on the wall, the passion flower will need something to grab on to with it’s wispy modified leaves called tendrils.

Hope I have been of some help,
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby Doreen » 22 May 2007 22:31

Thanks a lot; I live by the sea and get quite a lot of strong salt air so hope it'll be ok.
D.Possy
Doreen
Clean Hands

Postby Nigel4x4 » 08 Mar 2008 17:59

Doreen, I was given a small potted passion flower years ago when I lived in Portsmouth (by the sea!) and it did really well over the many years I lived there. It grows really fast when established so be prepared :wink:

N.
Snails are just slugs that got on the property ladder
Nigel4x4
Clean Hands

Postby Doreen » 09 Mar 2008 00:02

Thanks a lot , my plant has done pretty well up to now; wondered whether i should have covered it up over winter but seems ok thanks again. :)
D.Possy
Doreen
Clean Hands

Postby Samantha » 21 Apr 2008 09:36

I think you don't need to cover it up.
Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps,
Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. - Amos Bronson Alcott
Samantha
Clean Hands

Return to Climbers