Which climber for wooden arch

Climbing plants and creepers

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which climber for wooden arch

Postby alisondavies » 24 Mar 2008 21:35

I am looking for a suitable climber for a wooden 'rose' arch in a north-east facing garden. I don't want anything thorny and would like something easy to care for with no highly complicated pruning techniques! I want something that will give lots of colour for as long as possible as my garden is very green at present and am thinking a different plant each side flowering at different times. Also something that will grow and flower fairly quickly. Would very much appreciate advice and suggestions. Thanks.
Alison
alisondavies
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 29 Mar 2008 21:40

Hello Alison,

The north-easy facing site rules out a number of possibilities, you will not get long periods of sunshine therefore reducing the flowering performance of most of the sun-loving flowering climbers.
I would suggest you consider the following plants, that I think will thrive despite the reduced light levels. The first two will provide leaf colour/interest rather than flower colour but I would always choose the former because it is usually on a larger scale and tends to last for a longer period:

Parthenocissus
Euonymus fortunei
Lathyrus latifolius

Any of the climbing honeysuckles would also be suitable, the reduced sunlight would limit aphid attack on these which can be a real problem in much warmer, sunnier sites.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Return to Climbers