Tropaeolum Speciosum - lower leaves going yellow

Climbing plants and creepers

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tropaeolum Speciosum - lower leaves going yellow

Postby claire » 28 Apr 2006 17:48

I bought a Tropaeolum Speciosum a few months ago. I have kept it moist at all times and left it on a north facing windowsill (intending to plant it out in the garden after all frosts have past).

It has put on a lot of growth and until last week was looking really healthy but now the lower leaves have started to turn yellow. What are the possible causes and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks.
Claire
claire
Muddy Fingers

Postby gardening_guru » 28 Apr 2006 19:51

Hello Claire,

Thank you for your email about your Tropaeolum speciosum. From the symptoms you have described, I would suggest the yellowing of the lower leaves is caused by poor drainage. Had the plant’s pot been sitting in a saucer of water? Whilst the plant likes to have moist compost, it will protest if its roots are in constant contact with water. Your ‘Flame Creeper’ also requires acid soil; it may also get upset if you water it with mains water that is full of lime. Collect rainwater if you can. Remember also, that Tropaeolum speciosum has rhizomes (modified, underground stems which store water) so I think it can be allowed to dry out a little between waterings. Your plant is hardy to –5oC so if you choose the correct spot in the garden you might be able to leave it outside all year.

I hope that I have been of some help.

Regards, George.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Return to Climbers