Laying Turf on ground with lots of wood chippings

Lawn & turf management

Moderator: Moderator Team

Laying Turf on ground with lots of wood chippings

Postby CraigScott » 29 May 2011 15:49

Hi,

I've just inherited some extra garden which used to contain a number of mature trees. The previous owners chopped em down and chipped them down to 1cm chips (and left them in a pile.) I was thinking of just mixing in the chips with the earth and laying turf on top - is this a sensible thing to do? I've read that wood chips can mess with the soil PH and make it tough for turf to grow.

Thanks

Craig
CraigScott
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 30 May 2011 16:03

Hello Craig,

I think if you have the time, it would be worth removing as many of the woodchips as possible before laying the turf. The nutritional value of the woodchips in comparison to a good quality topsoil is very poor. You want the roots of the new turf to be getting off to the best possible start and that will be in a good quality topsoil which has good nutrient and water holding capacity.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Re: Laying Turf on ground with lots of wood chippings

Postby naomikaka » 25 Sep 2012 02:06

That is a good idea and a little artificial grass on the turf will make your ground livelier.
naomikaka
Muddy Fingers

Re: Laying Turf on ground with lots of wood chippings

Postby naomikaka » 15 Mar 2013 07:38

I think you should remove all the existed things on the lawn and then install the new lawn because this will help you to own a new lawn in a long time in the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artificial Turf Miami
naomikaka
Muddy Fingers

Return to Lawns