Apple 'Christmas Pippin'
Common Name: Apple
Cultivar: 'Christmas Pippin'
Category: Fruit & Vegetables
Growth Rate: Fast growing
|Hardiness: Hardy||Height: 5.00 m (500 cm)|
|Sun/Shade: Full sun||Spread: 5.00 m (500 cm)|
|Foliage Type: Deciduous||Flower Colour: White|
|Flowering Period: April & May|
Soil Type: Normal/Loam
Soil Moisture: Moist, but well drained
- Ultimate size on M26 rootstock: 3 x 3m (10 x 10ft)
- Ultimate size on MM106 rootstock: 5.5 x 5.5m (18 x 18ft)
- Other features: exceptionally high quality eating apples (early-October)
- Pollination Group: C - flowering late season
A recent introduction which has been hailed as 'the new garden Cox'. It flowers and fruits abundantly so puts on a beautiful display in late spring and early summer and will provide you with a bumper crop of delicious eating apples that will be ready to harvest in early October. These apples are very sweet with a high natural sugar content and have a creamy flesh. They are easy to grow too.
- Garden care: Keep the base of the tree weed free, fertilise at the beginning of each year and water regularly during hot dry spells. Remove damaged or crossing branches during the dormant season.
- Pollination Information: This apple belongs to pollination group C so you will need to plant one other different variety of apple to guarantee cross pollination and a subsequent bumper crop. Ideally this should come from the same pollination group however it is possible to use one from group B or D as well.
Apple 'Bramley's Seedling'
Apple 'Norfolk Royal'
Apple Cox's Orange Pipin