Episode 10: Gardening Jobs and Plants of Interest for January
A look back at the history of the PlantAdvice website and podcast, our plant of the month; the Christmas Rose - Helleborus niger, perfect pairing (2 plants that go well together); Acer davidii and Galanthus nivalis f. pleniflorus ‘Flore Pleno’ and jobs to do in the garden this month.
In this month’s edition of the podcast we discuss seasonal gardening jobs to do in the garden during the month of January and a selection of plants that look good at this time of year.
We also take a quick look back at the first six months of this podcast and how and why we decided to set-up this website in the first place.
Plant of the Month - 10' 24"
Our plant of the month for January is Helleborus niger also known as the Christmas Rose.
- Height 30cm, spread 50cm
- Hardy perennial, likes partial shade; good for a woodland garden
- Average growth
- Soil: Moist, well drained loam
- Flowers from January to April, white saucer-shaped flowers
- Evergreen, mid-dark green leathery leaves
Perfect Pairing - 14' 11"
For the month of January we've picked two plants that compliment each other:
- Average growing suitable for medium sized garden
- 15m tall, 15m spread
- Full sun/partial shade, moist, well drained
- Flowers: Yellow, Apr & May
- Vertically striped green-and-white bark
- Shelter from cold winds
- Clusters of pink-brown autumn fruit
- Colourful autumn foliage
- Ideal to under plant the Acer davidii for some much needed winter colour
- Average growing, hardy snowdrop
- 30cm tall, 8cm spread
- Full sun, Partial shade, moist, well drained loam soil
- Flowers: double pure white pear-shaped flowers with green-tipped inner petals, Jan to Feb
- Grey-green leaves
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
Jobs in the Garden - 20' 07"
- If heavy snow falls, shake off branches of trees & shrubs to prevent snapping under weight
- Fruit tree pruning
- Plant bare root trees and shrubs
- Feed the birds
- Check existing tree stakes and ties, make sure they are not too tight and digging into the bark of the tree. Remove any stakes that are no longer needed
- Get lawnmower serviced and blade sharpened
- Look through seed catalogues and decide what you would like to grow from seed when spring arrives
- Wisteria pruning
In the Vegetable Garden - 22' 08"
- Sow inside: Peppers
- Plant out: Rhubarb crowns
- Harvest: Leeks Kale and Cabbage
Plants of Note - 22' 57"
Another two plants that we felt were worthy of note for this month are:
- Average growing, deciduous, hardy shrub
- 3m tall, 2m spread
- Full sun/partial shade, moist, well-drained soil
- Flowers: dense clusters of fragrant pink on bare stems, Nov to Mar, long flowering period
- Toothed, dark green leaves
- Average growing, hardy, evergreen heather
- 15cm tall, 30cm spread
- Full sun/partial shade, moist, well-drained, prefers ericaceous soil
- Flowers: white, urn shaped, Jan to Mar
- Bright green foliage
Plant Finder - Search our plant database via our advanced search option to find a variety of plants.
Podcast produced by Richard Farrar.